Sunday, December 18, 2005

Work and play

You know the saying, "All work and no play make Jack (Jill) a dull boy (girl)?" Suffice it to say that life here has been anything but dull. There was plenty of work over the past couple of days, but it culminated in an evening of fun here at the old homestead.

Yesterday was spent with schoolwork, shopping, and cooking (snickerdoodles, peppermint treats, and chocolate peppermint fudge). Today I was out and about at 9, getting my hair cut and colored, then came home and made more fudge, this time the regular chocolate version with walnuts. Did some cleaning and picking up, then I had to run to the store again while Brian did his bit of cleaning on the house. By the time I got back, it was time to make crockpot cocoa and start getting the treats laid out on the trays. I set out some cheese and Ritz crackers and made stuffed mushrooms. (These mushrooms are unbelievably easy to make.... take some baby portabellas, remove the stems, wash & dry, and spoon in some Philly Cream Cheese with Chives and Onion. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.)

The company started arriving right on time. We spent the first hour or so just shootin' the breeze and snacking a bit. Then we got down to the serious business of fun. We were able to play 2 games of Apples to Apples before it was time for Rick and Virginia, Jarrod and Lauren, and Doug, Melody, and Suzy to make their 45-minute or so drive back to their homes. There was much laughter.... I'm still chuckling that hairball was chosen as the best answer for sexy. Jim, do you think that beats Meredith's mischievous mold choice for weirdest/funniest winning answer?

2 of the families that were originally coming weren't able to make it tonight. But I have plates of goodies for them.... So although they missed out on the fun, they still get something yummy.

Now for some sleep. Tomorrow is our Christmas program at church, and I'm "on." Wouldn't do for me to be yawning up front!

5 comments:

rob said...

Huzzah!

I love good parties sans stress. Swell done.

I wonder how those mushrooms would be slightly breaded and fried. I'm gonna try that.

Here via Michele. I shall return.

ribbiticus said...

looks like a fun night was had by all. too bad some of them missed your homemade goodies. don't forget to tell us about your part in the christmas program, ok?

michele sent me here.

Donna G said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all.

The hostess with the mostest!!

Thumper said...

Games and cocoa! Mmmmm...
though I'm pondering crock pot cocoa...is it just in the crock pot to keep it hot, or is this some concoction we hve to stand here and chant "share, share share" over and over?

Anonymous said...

Think I might try the mushrooms...sounds fairly easy. Hi, Michele sent me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails