Sunday, December 04, 2005

Twinkle twinkle little lights

One of my favorite things in the holiday season is to just sit and look at the Christmas tree after it is lit up and decorated. I love the look of a tree covered in white/clear lights. Emily keeps urging us to go multi-colored, but I really prefer the white ones. I grew up decorating my family's tree with multi-colored lights (remember those big bulbs that got hot and actually screwed in?) and certainly didn't mind them then, but when I started noticing the all-white trees, I was taken in, and knew that's what I wanted when I had my own tree. I do want to thank the person who invented pre-lit trees, though. Because of him/her, hubby and I were able to do away with one family tradition I wasn't sad to see go: the annual fight while stringing lights on the Christmas tree. Tree decorating is much less stressful now, mostly limited to keeping the kids from breaking ornaments as they help decorate. This year, the breakages were limited to the parents.... I mean, the parents were the only one who broke anything! I think we had a total of 3 mishaps. I dropped one ornament (thankfully not anything with great sentimental value), one had a broken piece when we unwrapped it from its bubble wrap in its box, and the star fell out of Minnie's hand when Brian was putting her on the tree (I tried to repair those last 2, and haven't checked to see if I was successful or not). If the family room floor had carpet instead of ceramic tile, we would have only had the last 2 mishaps.

The 3 youngest asked to sleep in the family room with the Christmas tree last night, so they are slumbering away in there. It is quite a peaceful scene, one that will probably be repeated several times before the tree is packed away after the holidays. I might just do it myself.

5 comments:

carmilevy said...

What a lovely image. I'm sure it's something your kids will carry with them for their entire lives. I feel warm just reading it.

Visiting from Michele's today.

dena said...

I love looking at my tree. We have the white lights, but I think my four-year-old would adore colored lights, and so next year, that's what I'm doing. I would just love to do a retro tree with the big, painted bulb lights. I think they look awesome. In a much different way than the white lights, but awesome just the same.

visiting from michele's

Zephra said...

sadly our tree is only 2 feet tall. I plan to get new one next year after the baby is past the tear it up stage. I did decorate my friend's 10 foot tall tree and could honestly sit and watch it all night.

Anonymous said...

I love white lights too and especially siping hot coco while we it glow. :)

Donna Boucher said...

Sleeping near the Christmas tree is just about the sweetest thing I have ever heard! What a great memory.

I love to squint my eyes and blur the lights :o)

Donna

Related Posts with Thumbnails