Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yet another book meme!

Found at Life is Not a Cereal:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
If it has words on the page, I will read it.

Amazon or brick and mortar?
Both. Barnes & Noble if I've run out of books and need something now; Amazon if I have time to wait and need to save a little money.

Bookmark or dogear?
Bookmark! (Although not always a "real" bookmark... sometimes it's a receipt or business card... whatever happens to be nearby.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
Now that we have the nifty floor-to-ceiling library area, I try to keep books alphabetized by author and separated into categories: Christian fiction/nonfiction, kids' general fiction/historical fiction, science, history, etc. The kids' section is rarely in order, though.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Keep! Although I have been known to give a book away if it's not one I think I'll reread.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
Keep... and in the case of children's books, try to remember to tape them on so they don't get lost.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Always on...it's a built in bookmark.

Short story or novel?
Novel.

Short story collection (short stories by the same author) or anthology (short stories by a different author?
Neither.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Definitely Harry. Cannot stand Lemony.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
When one of the kids draws blood from another. On the rare chance that doesn't happen, when I get too tired.

"It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Both.

Buy or Borrow?
Mostly buy; nobody to borrow from and the library doesn't carry much Christian literature.

New or used?
Mostly new for reasons above.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
All 3. If a book comes recommended, I'll often check reviews. Just like with movie reviews, I can't always depend on the opinions of the professionals, so recommendations generally hold more sway.

Standalone or series?
Both. I enjoy continuing stories, but standalones are great because you don't have to worry about missing anything.

Favorite series?
Karen Kingsbury's 911 Series.

Favorite books read last year?
911 Series, Searching for God Knows What, And the Shofar Blew

Favorite books of all time?
Christian Lit: Peculiar People by Richard Soule, The Scarlet Thread
Christian Growth: Velvet Elvis
Chick Lit: The Yada Yada Prayer Group
For Fun: Lightning by Dean Koontz
Historical: Shogun by James Clavell
The Literature of Place: not even sure what that means!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I did this one several weeks ago...I loved reading your answers. You can find out a lot about people by the types of books they read! It sounds like you have a "library" too...I'm not sure it's possible to have "too many books"!! :)
Have a great weekend....

Anonymous said...

If I'd quit blogging for five minutes, maybe I'd FINISH all the books I've begun :/ doggone it!

Your answers hit close to home in most instances here; did you do that "other" book meme? The Blogging Chicks had a book carnival this week, and I linked to the one I completed back in August....you might wanna check it out if you haven't done it already...since you OBVIOUSLY are a bibliophile ;).

Related Posts with Thumbnails