Saturday, July 08, 2006

Saturday stuff

That fire we saw the other night ended up taking almost all night to put out. The newspaper account said it wasn't extinguished until almost 4:30 a.m. The authorities are pretty certain it was started by kids playing with fireworks. It burned off over 75 acres of grass.

Emily and I went to the 12:01 a.m. showing of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Thursday night. I had a hard time staying awake. It's not like I fell completely asleep during the movie, but I did nod off a few times. That is just so stinkin' late for me! Brian and I are taking the other kids later this afternoon. I should have an easier time of it this time. But it's so long.... not a movie you want to get drinks and food with! Emily says it is as good as or better than the first. I liked it enough, but kind of felt like it was one big teaser for the 3rd film. Not quite as much plot in this movie as in the first, either. The comedy is fun, though. We saw some great previews as well.... Talladega Nights, Night at the Museum, and The Guardian all look to be ones we'll want to go see.

We dropped Emily off at church last night around 10 or so to spend the night with the other kids headed to Tuba City, AZ. They were supposed to be leaving at 5:00 this morning. I'm hoping we'll hear from them once they get there. The kids aren't supposed to be using their cell phones until the trip home. Of course, after sitting unused all week, the batteries in them will be dead (that was Emily's experience at camp).

2 comments:

drjimwhite said...

I'm sorry I haven't called lately. It's getting to be so cliche, but what a busy weekend. I took Nate to Lincoln to the Tuttle's house (Jim Tuttle, the minister at Heartlands). Nate's spent the night there before going out to counsel at camp. Martha and I did some extremely needed work around the house. Then there are Sundays. I asked the Bannisters if they had talked to you lately. If I think of it, I'll try to call after the elder's meeting tonight. Not much else going on here. The Haltom's have moved to Texas A & M. He's in charge of the ROTC unit(???) there. Other than that, it's just summer. Take care.

JW

Anonymous said...

You might not know it... but you're my unofficial movie reviewer! I love to listen to what you've seen and what looks good to you. I used to keep up with movies better when I lived in a city with easy access to movies. I took that for granted! Since I've moved back home, I just don't have that luxury any more. I'd have to travel about 40 minutes to a crummy theatre and at least an hour to a nice one. Sad, huh! But it's good for me in this particular phase of my life - trying to cut down on things that I tend to overindulge on in attempts to avoid some spiritual work in my life that needs to be tackled!

So, I get my movie fixes from you and your family!!! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails