Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Blessed are the peacemakers

Ever feel like you are always in the middle??? It's an awkward place to be, in between 2 people or groups who just don't jive with each other.... I find myself working feverishly to convince one "side" of the wonderful qualities of the other, without negating any of their objections (unless I have a concrete way to rebut them). I don't know what it is in me that invites some friends to unload their negative thoughts about others to me.... especially when those negative thoughts are about people near and dear to me. No one likes to hear unpleasant or unflattering things about someone who is on her A-list.

I found myself in this situation today. I think I handled it OK. I wound up going back to a friend and encouraging her to rethink her attitude. It wasn't easy... I had to make myself somewhat vulnerable to do it. But I think we were both better off for it.

2 comments:

Thumper said...

I haven't been in the middle for a very long time. Usually, I'm on the outside... You may not like it in the middle, but it's better that someone level headed is there than someone overly emotional or spiteful...

Anonymous said...

Good for you for handling it. I tend to just detach from that stuff and bury it. I should deal with it and let people know how their actions make me feel.

BTW... this is the first time I could comment in awhile. Comments are loading REALLY slow or not at all for me. Dont know why.

Related Posts with Thumbnails