Monday, April 11, 2005

Apartment Sweet Apartment

Here I sit in our temporary quarters.... the hum of traffic outside my window, children sleeping in their new bedrooms (except for Noah.. he chose the couch). Maybe this place isn't going to be as bad as I imagined in my head. Granted, I haven't hauled in a load of groceries yet (we're on the 2nd floor), but I think this will be a growing experience. Even the dog is adjusting well to the loss of his back yard.

Saturday went awesomely well. We had 8 guys show up between 8 and 8:30 a.m. to help my husband get our playset disassembled and relocated to the church playground. They had the whole thing deconstructed in about an hour and a half. One of Brian's coworker's husband brought his racecar trailer with him and they were able to load the entire thing in it to transport it to its new home. They took a short break to indulge in some of Kathy's yummy quiche (yes, real men do eat quiche!) and then headed out for the job of reconstruction. They finished that job up shortly after 1:30. Let me astound you even more with the fact that these men (with the exception of one high school male) were between the ages of 35-70.... the oldest 3 represented each of the age decades between 50 and 70.

The guys weren't the only ones breaking a sweat. I had the help of 3 of their wives, loading vans and SUVs with suitcases, laundry baskets full of frozen food, boxes of canned goods, a stereo, hanging clothes... And then they hauled it up the stairs to the apartment and helped me put it away. We finished up our job around the same time the men were finishing theirs. Brian and I still had a few more things to bring over later, but we women got the bulk of it done. Aren't good friends just amazing?

Brian is at the old place now, waiting for the packers to show up and begin boxing our remaining possessions. They'll have to wait until June to see their new home.

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

You could always make the kids haul in the groceries ... I always preferred second floor -- assuming it's just two stories. Then you're not hearing anyone else's noise. But with 4 kids, they'll be hearing your noise. Oh, well!

Donna G said...

Lots of BLUGS- I hate moving.

Glad you had lots of help and food!

Jenni said...

When I was in elem school, we moved from Texas to Colorado and had to live in a motel for 4 months while waiting for our Tx house to sell. It was so much fun (and I was young enough) that I don't remember that we didn't have our stuff for so long. I'm sure my mom missed it, though!

Thumper said...

Hauling stuff upstairs is noooo fun at all, but I can tell you from recent experience, being the downstairs neighbor is Not. Fun. At. All. We're counting down til we can move out of here and into a house... And you have kids! Why else do we have kids other than to haul stuff upstairs for us!?? ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails