Monday, April 09, 2007

Our Easter and Spring Reading update

We had a very nice day yesterday.... my day began around 4am, when my stinkin' indispensable internal alarm woke me up. Afraid I wouldn't wake up in time if I went back to sleep, I flipped channels on the television for a couple of hours before heading downstairs to set out the kids' Easter goodies. Brian came downstairs around 6:30 or so and we hid eggs in the house for the 3 younger ones to hunt. I popped some Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls (Now with cream cheese icing!) into the oven and we woke the kids up shortly after those came out.

I managed to get pictures of the younger kids in their Easter duds (Emily didn't want her picture taken) before we left for church. After church, we went to Olive Garden for lunch. They weren't busy, but from the service we got, you would have thought they were. It took half an hour from placing our orders to get our breadsticks. We even got our soups and salads before our drinks, and the appetizer arrived less than 1 minute before the main courses. Ah well.... at least it tasted good!

I came home and headed straight for bed at the express command of my husband. I definitely needed the sleep; I didn't get up until around 4. While I was asleep, Brian had commandeered the kids into cleaning up the boys' bedroom. They threw out 2 kitchen trash bags of junk. Now we can actually see the floor again! Before I could be roped into manual labor was able to offer my assistance, I got a phone call from a friend back in Omaha (Thank you, Grace!!). We chatted for an hour and a half (I was amazed when I saw the call timer at the end... it certainly didn't seem that long!).

****************************************************************************************

So here's how the Spring Reading Thing is going:

I've managed to read 8 of the 9 books from my fiction list. That would be all of them but The Ultimate Gift. In addition, I've read 2 Terri Blackstock novels (Private Justice and Shadow of Doubt), and SAHM I Am, by Meredith Efken. I wholeheartedly recommend that last one; boy, could I relate to a lot of stuff in it! I'll be looking for the sequel to it. If you enjoy suspense/mystery, Terri Blackstock's books are good, too.

As far as the nonfiction goes, I gave up on Where God Was Born. I just could not get drawn into it. I've picked up a copy of Yancey's Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference as a replacement, but haven't started it. I still have all 5 books to go on that list.

Out of the 5 books on the list to read with the kids, we are still on the first one, The Twenty-One Balloons. I guess I'm not doing too bad with the list, considering there's a little over 2 months left in the challenge.

2 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Hi Karen,
I was happy to see that you read SAHM I Am! I happened to pick it up at the library and need to add it to my list. I finished it last week and went back to The Mustard Seed series. It was a fun read.

Katie said...

Oh aren't those cinnamon rolls yummy?! My kids love them, I love the icing - Let's hear it for cream cheese!
We have The Twenty-One Balloons on our school reading list, but have yet to start it, I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails