Friday, May 25, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

So how do I review this without giving away important information for those who haven't seen it? I guess I should say that the only one in our group who decided to go to sleep during the movie instead of watch it was Halle. I wasn't surprised; it really was a long movie, and the plot twists and turns could be a little hard for younger minds to stay on top of. Of course, that didn't stop Joel, who loved all the action.

Aside from one very important plot point in this film, this might just be my favorite one in the PoTC trilogy (which could very well wind up with a 4th offering). There was plenty of humor in the form of one-liners and physical comedy. I guess it might be OK to say that we get a glimpse of what life could be like with more than one Jack Sparrow around, and it was pretty darn funny. Johnny Depp did not disappoint in this one, folks. Keira Knightley got to do a whole lot more fighting and we saw a side of Elizabeth we'd only glimpsed before; I think we could say the same for Will and Jack as well. The special effects were amazing.

I mentioned plot twists and turns... we were treated to learning a bit more about the "pirate code", got a brief introduction to Jack's father (Keith Richards, of Rolling Stones fame), and sailed a course of bargains and betrayal that left our heads spinning.

I have to say that that one plot point last night was enough to make Emily say that she hated the film. Whether a night's sleep has softened that impression or not is to be found. I imagine we might talk about it on the way to school this morning if she doesn't cocoon herself in the front seat with her IPod.

Oh, and for those of you wondering.... Even with a large bottle of water at my seat, I didn't have to get up even once during this movie.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm hoping to see it this weekend with my family.....can't wait!!!

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Hi, Karen. Thanks for stopping by. I also enjoyed the SAHM I Am books, except that Roslyn made me want to hurl! I'm glad that she's a little more human this time around.

I'm not sure when we'll get a chance to see Pirates. Money is a little tight for the next month or so, but we'll get there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Have a blessed holiday weekend! :D

Jenni said...

we did go see Pirates today....it was good! I'm wondering what plot point made Emily hate the movie?

lisa h. said...

so just came here via rocks in my dryer...anyway, i just have to say i was soooo disappointed with pirates i could've left halfway through! really, you liked it? i really wanted to like to, i love johnny depp and the other 2 movies....i thought some of it was downright cheesy and there just weren't any good special affects or action scenes. the big calipso thing was disappointing and didn't make sense (i thought it was all a little too much and hard to follow). finally towards the end there was that 20min fighting scene, with nothing exciting to keep me entertained and i couldn't believe they could drag it out so long!

anyway, so thanks for the venting....maybe i'll give it another view, but i was pretty sad i paid money to go see it

Anonymous said...

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was great in every way, the best part of the other two was the special effects… the question now is, if they come out with a fourth, will it maintain the quality of the first?

Related Posts with Thumbnails