Can I say I am really glad the weekend is almost here? Even though it will be a weekend with no hubby (the one moonlighting weekend he does a month), I am looking forward to having at least one day where there are no *have to* things to do. No driving to school, no school at home, some easy no-fuss meals, time to read some books or play games with the kids....
Tomorrow we were going to go see the tall ships, but the 2 other families who were going to go with us can't make it any longer, so we probably aren't going to go now. Unless I wake up feeling quite different about it, anyhow.
It has been an incredibly long week. Brian had some majorly long days at work, not even getting home until 7pm or later on several of them (that is pretty late, considering he gets there before 6am). Lots of stressful things going on there. Then I went and lost a contact lens yesterday morning. So now I'm wearing my glasses and wishing mightily that I could just have LASIK done on my badly near-sighted eyes. I hate my peripheral vision being nothing but a blur.
Oh, I did get to see The Prestige this week... now there's a movie that has you scratching your head a bit! I love Christian Bales; he was great. Hugh Jackman wasn't half bad, either. And Michael Caine rarely disappoints. Two unexpected pleasures: David Bowie in a totally un-Ziggy Stardust role and Andy Serkis, decidedly un-Gollumlike.
Here's some stuff I've come across in the last week or so:
- From BusyMom: a link to BuzzWhack and a list of her favorite buzzwords. I love words. Remember Rich Hall and his sniglets?
- Hold on to your pom-poms! Disney's High School Musical: The Concert is coming to a city near you beginning November 30.
- He's not one of my favorite singers, but this Johnny Cash video is powerful. It's not a typical Cash song (if there is such a thing)... this one comes from Nine Inch Nails.
- I've seen this one mentioned on more than one blog, but just in case you haven't seen it, the folks at Dove are doing a great thing with their most recent ad campaign stressing "real beauty."
- I can't make up my mind about Baby Got Book. But I'm pretty sure ApologetiX has nothing to worry about. They're still the premier Christian parody band.
- This video almost makes me wish we had a cat. Almost.
- Animal, Vegetable, Mineral Quiz. How many can you get?
- The Problems with Homeschooling. How many of us could have written this?? Hat tip to JanJanMom for this one.