Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Settling in and settling down

Still getting settled in the new place. It's only been 2 weeks and most of the rooms are together. Still left to unpack: 5 "mirror packs" of things from the walls of the old house and 2 boxes of books, papers, and "stuff" from the schoolroom/office. Being that there isn't a "schoolroom/office" in this house, I am holding off on those items until I am able to sort through all that is already unpacked and get it organized. I'll be reboxing some books and storing them in one of the storage areas here or in the garage in order to make room for our school things. I'll probably be looking for some kind of drawer-type storage I can keep here near this table/desk, since my old computer desk is in storage (too large for these accommodations).

One of the things I have done a little of and hope to finish up is cataloging my books with Library Thing. I think I will wind up getting a paid account. $25 isn't bad for a lifetime of being able to keep track of all my stuff. This thing just speaks to my anal side (Eww. That doesn't sound right.)

The house phone finally works. Took over a week for Comcast to fix it. Part of it had to do with them not disconnecting at the other house for some stupid reason. I still have to call and talk to them to make sure we don't get double-billed and are credited for the 10 days with no service. I think a month free would be great compensation for the frustration and inconvenience.

Rory is settling in very well. She is learning the routine quickly and knows that right after she finishes eating, she is supposed to go outside; she heads straight for the back door after she's done. We keep the door to the laundry room (where the dogs' food and water are kept) shut, so she will go there and sit (and alert us if we don't notice her) if she gets thirsty during the day. Campbell is learning the fine art of doggie play and the two of them can often be found chasing each other outside or rolling around on the floor in the living room. Rory is growing quickly and is almost the same height as Campbell now; it will be interesting to see how things change as she gets bigger than him!

Can't believe this summer is almost half over. Just 6 more weeks until Emily goes back to school. I've really enjoyed not having to take her to school every day. I guess I should savor these days while they last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling more 'at home'. Six weeks until school? Kids go back in less than a month around here!

Lara said...

Sounds like perhaps Great Danes are a smidge more intellectual than Mal-rats. I blame my husband for the potty training taking so long. He works at home and his schedule, at least to our puppy's system, is quite erratic.

Rory is a beautiful dog. I can't wait to see her when she huge. Now I thought you were moving to a smaller place, and you go and get a 2nd dog and a GREAT DANE at that. You are 8 kinds of crazy!! :)

God bless!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're getting settled in a bit. It's coming along here, too. Slowly, but coming along.

And I don't even have four kids and two dogs to contend with! Just a husband and not even any cats any more. (We used to have three.)

Dee

Related Posts with Thumbnails